The GSA Free Tax Clinics will be conducted in association with the Canada Volunteer Income Tax Program (CVITP), a program from the Canada Revenue Agency on the following dates:
- March 23rd from 4 PM to 7 PM - via online
- March 30th from 4 PM to 7 PM - via online
- March 31st from 4 PM to 7 PM - via online
- April 1st from 4 PM to 7 PM - via online
- April 6th from 4 PM to 7 PM - via online
The GSA Free Tax Clinic is free for all graduate students and their families provided they meet the following criteria:
- They are not self-employed and have no employment expenses.
- They have no rental income.
- They have no capital gains or losses to report.
- They have not filed for bankruptcy.
- They are not filing on behalf of a deceased person.
- They have an income LESS than $50,000.
Graduate students attending the GSA Free Tax Clinic will be required to have valid government identification which includes a photo. They will be required to file a consent form from the GSA and a TIS60 form from the Canada Revenue Agency. They will also be required to bring all necessary documents (T4, T4As, T2202a and any other tax forms for the taxation year) with them. The student should have their own laptop as well.
As members of the Canadian Federation of Students, all graduate students get free access to UFile.ca to help with their tax filing needs.
How to File
To file for free, members must:
- Sign in to a new or existing UFile account for the current tax year
- Enter tuition fees and months at school (must file T2202a)
- Locate the “Special Offer” form in UFile’s left-hand navigation
- Enter the special offer code: CFS1981
(note: entering the code CFS1981 at check-out will not discount the tax file, the student must enter the code in the Special Offer section.)
Would you like to volunteer to assist other graduate students in preparing their remittance? Contact the VP Finance & Operations at email@example.com.