All graduate students registered full-time in Term 1 who are GSA members, including international students, are automatically enrolled in the GSA Health & Dental Plan.
These graduate students are not automatically covered, but can enroll themselves during the appropriate Change-of-Coverage Period:
- Part-time, off-campus and maintenance of status students, who are also GSA members.
- New Term 2 graduate students, who are also GSA members.
These individuals, upon payment of GSA Membership Fees, can enroll themselves during the appropriate Change-of-Coverage Period:
- Graduate students registered at one of the affiliated colleges in the Saskatoon Theological Union.
- Post-Doctoral Fellows.
For the 2018/2019 academic year, the annual GSA membership is $70.64. Membership is valid from September 1, 2018 to August 31, 2019.
The Plan covers health, dental, vision, and travel benefits:
- Up to 80% for prescription drugs (including most oral contraceptives)
- 100% for vaccinations, up to $150 per policy year
- Up to $4,000 for health practitioners (psychologists, physiotherapists, chiropractors, etc.)
- Up to $350 in vision care (eye exams, eyeglasses and contact lenses, laser eye surgery)
- Up to $750 in dental care (checkups, cleanings, fillings, extractions, endodontics, periodontics, etc.)
- $5,000,000 in travel health coverage per incident, 120 days per trip
- $5,000 for trip interruption and $1,500 for trip cancellation in the event of a medical emergency
- Ambulances, dental accidents, medical equipment, and more! Visit www.studentcare.ca for complete details.
The total cost of the Plan is $459.03 for students starting in September ($222.51 for health coverage and $236.52 for dental coverage). The policy year is from Sept. 1, 2018 – Aug. 31, 2019. The cost of the Plan is automatically included in your tuition and other fees.
You can also further enhance your benefits by visiting health professionals who are members of the Dental, Vision, Physiotherapy, and Massage Therapy Networks. You are covered for the insured portion regardless of the health professional you choose. By consulting a Network member, you will get additional coverage. For example, by visiting a Dental Network member, you will receive an additional 20% off dental services, enabling you to get up to 100% coverage.
If you are covered by another extended health and/or dental plan (e.g. a parent’s or spouse’s employee plan), you can combine both plans to maximize your overall coverage and reduce or eliminate out-of-pocket costs.
Alternatively, if you have other equivalent coverage, you can opt out of the GSA Health portion, the Dental portion, or the GSA Plan in its entirety during the Change-of-Coverage Period from Sept. 4th– 28th, 2018. You will receive a credit to your student account for the Plan.
If you are eligible, the Change-of-Coverage Period is also when you can enroll yourself and your spouse and/or dependent children in the Plan. Only new Term 2 students starting in January can enroll themselves and their spouse and/or dependent children between Jan. 3rd – 16th, 2019 for coverage from Jan. 1 – Aug. 31, 2019. If you start school in May, you can enroll yourself and your spouse and/or dependent children in the Plan from May 8th – 22nd, 2019 for coverage from May 1 – Aug. 31, 2019.
Visit www.studentcare.ca for further information on how to opt-out or how to enroll your spouse and/or dependent children in the Plan.
The Blackout Period exists for some students because claims processing is delayed while Studentcare waits for complete enrolment lists, after opt outs and enrolments have been processed. Claims can be dropped off at the Health & Dental Plan Office, but they will not be processed until the Blackout Period ends. You may also hold your claims until this time. Remember: claims are your responsibility until received by the insurer. Practitioners and pharmacists can’t accept Pay Direct or assignment of benefits during the Blackout Period.
Information is available online at www.studentcare.ca or by calling the Studentcare Member Services Centre at 1 877 795-4428, Mon. – Fri. from 9 am to 5 pm. You can also stop by the Health & Dental Plan Office in Room 121, Main Level, Place Riel Student Centre.